Friday, January 2, 2009

Safer in Iraq (more)


Following up on my previous post, "Safer in Iraq," I'm taking note of how the Army has lowered its recruitment standards in the midst of this economic recession. They've done away with the high school graduation requirement and are enlisting thousands of young people with criminal records.
[Undersecretary of Defense David] Chu acknowledged that military recruiters face obstacles as parents andothers who influence young people have shown more resistance to the military as the wars have dragged on.

“I think it’s important for all citizens to support the choices of youngpeople, and this is one of the ironies we’ve seen in this extended conflict;that the young people are willing to step forward, but the more senior membersof our society – not to indict my own generation – are less willing toapplaud that choice when they do so,” Chu said.
(Chicago Tribune)
(NPR)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Agree? Disagree? Let me hear from you.