Tuesday, September 13, 2011

My Twitter debate with Cornelia on basketball and the longer school day

Tweeting with @Corneliagracchi -- Historian, Teacher, Gardener, Traveler,Grandmother. Very Old, both Soul and Other Wise

Cornelia 
You are a coach. Is it better to spend more time or less time practicing? Sorry for being a grouch. We owe our students good ed.

Me:
More time (than what?) practicing might be good for my players. But I wouldn't let mayor and pols tell me how long practices should be. 

Me again:
Ur a historian. Tell me, exactly how many minutes of practice do MY players need? And tell me how you decided? 

I'm on a roll :
Tell me, what should I have them practice in that extra time? Dribbling? Passing? Rebounding? What? 

Me again
Yes, more practice would help my players. But not if time was used to prep for bubble tests about basketball. 

Cornelia:
Agree on bub test,but if unions, whch I strongly supp, obj to more time in classrm, makng a foolish pedagogic and PR error.

Me
I agree. But unions aren't necessarily opposing longer school day. Just the way it is being done in Chicago. They R right

Cornelia
Geez, an old lady cant keep up with yr tweets. I agree a fine line exists here wch is why we cant lose right to collec. bargain 

Me
Yes, fastest Tweeter in the midwest. Thanks.

Cornelia:
See, all that extra time you spent practicing has paid off!

Me:
Yes, but kids can't practice that in school. Tweeting is banned. So is FB and all social networking at CPS. 

Cornelia:
If you mean banned while in class, this old Dry as Dust says Hurrah!

Arrrgghh! An old school-er. Can't win. 

3 comments:

  1. It's the new superficiality, Mike. GWTP

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyable. Thanks, Mike.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If your basketball players were practicing 6 hours a day, I'd definitely say that more practice would NOT be a good thing. There is an optimal amount of time to spend on anything. The question then is whether the amount of time CPS kids spend in school is optimal (which, of course, depends on how that time is being used.

    Excellent blog - I just discovered you courtesy of Eric Zorn at the Chicago Trib.

    ReplyDelete

Agree? Disagree? Let me hear from you.