Monday, June 29, 2009

Another brick...


Doug at Borderland responds to my Arne Duncan/"Ton 'O Bricks" posts with the classic Pink Floyd video, "Another Brick in the Wall."

*****

My brother Fred says, "someone's missing" from National Journal's new panel of expert education bloggers. What else is new?

*****

For any teacher, the city of Chicago is a great classroom. I held my class last night at the Harold Washington Library so students could hear Henry Louis "Skip" Gates holding forth on Lincoln's Bicentennial and other topics. My own focus is on reflective teaching practices and Gates really brings home the importance of personalization and story-telling, especially in his family-tree studies of African-Americans. Gates is the director of the W. E. B. Du Bois Institute for African and African American Research at Harvard University. But he calls Harvard, "an historically white university." Amen!

Special thanks to one of my heroes, Prof. Timuel Black, who dropped in to meet the students following the Gates talk. For those who couldn't make it, the Gates talk will soon be available on Chicago Amplified on WBEZ Chicago Public Radio.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Agree? Disagree? Let me hear from you.