Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Mary Anne Raywid

I'm deeply saddened to hear of the death of my good friend, mentor, and colleague Mary Ann Raywid. Mary Anne was a brilliant scholar and professor emerita of Educational Administration and Policy Studies at Hofstra University, well respected in her field and former president of the Society of Professors of Education and the Philosophy of Education Society. She was a great researcher and prolific writer. Her research focused on school reform and in particular small and alternative schools. Mary Anne was also kind enough to sit as a member of my doctoral dissertation committee and lend her critical eye and voice, for which I shall be ever grateful.

She spent her last years in Hawaii caring for her late husband Ray, but still continuing her work, helping to create small schools and schools built around native Hawaiian culture. She continued to teach in the College of Education at the University of Hawaii and sat on the board of the League of Women Voters in Honolulu.

6 comments:

  1. I have never posted before but this time I lend my voice to the words about Mary Anne Raywid. She provided many research articles and an informed source of information on alternative education. She helped AERO--the alternative organization and also understood public school choice and its benefits long before others. She also was one of the first to write for our International Journal of School Choice as it spread its wings in the last decade.She will be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I share your sadness, Mike. I met Mary Anne in the 80s, when I was leading an alternative school in Pennsylvania. Over time we became personal friends as well as professional colleagues, and was always cheered as well as inspired by the time I was able to spend with her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sad to hear this news as well. I learned a great deal from Mary Anne's published research.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm trying to find details/confirmation on Ms. Raywid's passing. Can you provide a link or source.

    Thanks much.

    Tim Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  5. want to use the photograph of Raywid in my presentation. can I?

    ReplyDelete

Agree? Disagree? Let me hear from you.