With guest, Louder Than a Bomb poet Nate Marshall

Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Hey Little Emperor...

Hey little Emperor, come down from your throne
The hourglass is empty, your time has come and gone
The battlements are crumblin’ the walls are tumblin’ down
Your counselors and concubines are getting’ out of town 

-- Steve Earle

Even though I didn't drink last night (honest) I feel hung over this morning after 14 hours of poll watching and then hitting Carlos Rosa's victory party at the Levee. I can't remember a victory like this since Harold Washington won the Democratic mayoral primary in 1983 (Yes, we once had party primaries in Chicago). Yesterday's citywide defeat of Rahm's overstuffed political machine, and Chuy Garcia's forcing of Rahm into a runoff, was as close to being on par with that as it gets.

Rosa's stunning win over a Rahm-backed incumbent was but a small piece of the pie (which I'm still digesting). In my diverse Logan Square neighborhood, it comes on the heels of Rep. Will Guzzardi's devastating rout of  machine daughter Toni Berrios last March. Rosa, a 26-year-old community activist, more than doubled the vote of the mayor's guy, discredited incumbent Rey Colon.

DNAInfo reports:
Ramirez-Rosa was joined on stage at The Levee, 4035 W. Fullerton Ave, by 39th District State Representative Will Guzzardi and a crowd of friends and family around 8:30 p.m. The incoming alderman then claimed his victory in the ward, which represents portions of Logan Square, Avondale, Hermosa, Irving Park and Albany Park.
"This is not about switching one alderman for another; it was about a movement," Ramirez-Rosa said following his acceptance. "We aspire to more — a city that uplifts working people. That's the message the 35th Ward sent today. We proved tonight we can begin the first step of that progression."
Yes we did.

Carlos & Chuy
Citywide, Rahm failed to carry a majority in any ward except for the lakefront and a couple on the far southwest side. His superPAC proved worthless. And his toady incumbents, like John "Petcoke" Pope in the 10th, Deb "Boss' Daughter" Mell, have been forced into runoffs by progressives Susan Sadlowski Garza and Tim Meegan.

My alderman, Scott Waguespack, a leader of the Progressive Caucus, who was singled out for defeat the so-called Chicago Forward PAC, defeated it's candidate Dooty-Jones (I love saying that name, like I love saying Huck-a-Bee, Huck-a-Bee) with 80% of the vote.

The Elected School Board referendum, which was a dagger aimed at the heart of mayoral control of the public schools, carried in ward after ward with numbers around 90%. Makes you wonder who the other 10% was?

More to come on this as my head clears and the final numbers come in.


  1. As I commented on Bro Fred, you guys in the 29th District & 35th Ward (do I have the #s right? I'm a little giddy!) are to be soundly congratulated for both upsets! I think that you should put together a presentation for the NPE Conference as to how you did it, & what other villages, towns, cities, etc. need to do to make your kind of victory a reality. (BTW, I've been reading David Axelrod's new book, Believer, & this sticks:

    In talking about going to hear candidate JFK when he was 5, Axelrod states, "I somehow absorbed the larger message: we are the masters of our own future, and politics is the means by which we shape it."

    As I've written repeatedly, it all starts locally and, by example, the good will spread all across the country, so we can take back the America all of us need to thrive.

    Yes, WE did, yes WE can & yes WE WILL!

  2. I'm actually in the 32nd Ward. But congratulate me anyway.


Agree? Disagree? Let me hear from you.