The New Press will be hosting a memorial celebration of the life and work of Studs Terkel, who died on October 31st at the age of 96, on Sunday, December 7th at 4:00 pm in The Great Hall of Cooper Union.
Participants will include:
- Jimmy Breslin (Pulitzer Prize-winning Newsday columnist and author)
- Steve Earle and Allison Moorer (musicians);
- Laura Flanders (host of GritTV and RadioNation and New York Times bestselling author)
- Sydney Lewis (long-time friend and collaborator);
- Walter Mosley (best-selling author)
- Victor Navasky (publisher emeritus of The Nation and Director of the George Delacorte Center for Magazine Journalism at Columbia Journalism);
- Andre Schiffrin (founding director of The New Press and Studs' editor and publisher);
- Dan Terkel (son of the late Ida and Studs Terkel);
- Katrina vanden Heuvel (editor and publisher of The Nation);
- Gary Younge (columnist and feature writer for The Guardian);
- Howard Zinn (historian, activist, and prize-winning author of A People's History of the United States)
Co-sponsored by The Nation and The Indypendent.
The event will be open to the public and free of charge.
Location: The Great Hall of Cooper Union, 7 East 7th Street at Third Avenue, New York City (map)
Time: 4:00 pm-6:00 pm