Friday, June 21, 2019

STATEMENT FROM MAYOR LORI E. LIGHTFOOT ON PLANNED ICE RAIDS


FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

June 21, 2019

CONTACT:

Mayor’s Press Office

312.744.3334

press@cityofchicago.org

STATEMENT FROM MAYOR LORI E. LIGHTFOOT ON PLANNED ICE RAIDS

"We are all aware of the threat from President Trump regarding raids by ICE, and in response, Chicago has taken concrete steps to support our immigrant communities. I have directed – and Superintendent Johnson has confirmed – that CPD has terminated ICE's access to CPD's databases related to federal immigration enforcement activities. I have also personally spoken with ICE leadership in Chicago and voiced my strong objection to any such raids. Further, I reiterated that CPD will not cooperate with or facilitate any ICE enforcement actions. Chicago will always be a welcoming city and a champion for the rights of our immigrant and refugee communities, and I encourage any resident in need of legal aid to contact the National Immigrant Justice Center."



###


No comments:

Post a Comment

Agree? Disagree? Let me hear from you.