Monday, April 11, 2016

WEEKEND QUOTABLES

Michele Bollinger, teacher at Woodrow Wilson High School in Washington, D.C.
“Why should Lynne Cheney get to tell me what I teach in my classroom?” -- N.Y. Times
Michelle Strater Gunderson, first-grade teacher
 I teach first grade in a neighborhood school for the Chicago Public Schools. The PARCC exam begins in the third grade, but even though my students did not take the test, their schedules and learning were still disrupted and negatively affected by the tests. -- Living in Dialogue
Kate Grossman
In a high-school universe defined by choice, these schools and students are the clear losers. Chicago’s neediest students are clustered at the bottom of the pecking order of the district, in the most under-resourced and embattled schools. -- Atlantic
North Carolina NAACP Pres. William Barber
 “We cannot be silent in the face of this race-based, class-based, homophobic and transphobic attack on wage earners, civil rights, and the LGBTQ community, Together with our many allies, we will coordinate a campaign of nonviolent direct action along with other forms of nonviolent protest that will instruct our legislators with respect to the rights of all people.” -- The State
Springsteen guitarist, Steven Van Zandt won't play in N.C.
  "This sort of thing is spreading like an evil virus around the country. We felt we better stop this, we should try and stop this early, and hopefully other people will rise up and join us." -- London Telegraph
Andy Richter remembers Hastert's chair
“I went to Yorkville HS ’80-’84 & I remember this chair. Purportedly ‘to keep boys from fighting,’” -- Sun-Times
CIA Director John Brennan on waterboarding
 "I will not agree to carry out some of these tactics and techniques I've heard bandied about because this institution needs to endure," -- NBC News

No comments:

Post a Comment

Agree? Disagree? Let me hear from you.