Monday, June 30, 2008

A new look at urban schools

Urban public schools are always getting a bad rap. So why are so many middle-class families with school-age children leaving the suburbs and moving back into the city? Others even giving phony addresses to sneak their kids into inner-city schools tax-free. Sunday’s Chicago Tribune (“An Urban Education”) lists other reasons offered for raising kids in the city, including short commutes and diversity.

“But none of this would matter if it weren’t for a grassroots movement to improve schools,” writes the Trib’s Virginia Groak.

Couldn’t have said it better myself. Thanks Virginia


Champ change
Go to fullsize image

When I was out in L.A. earlier this year, I got to visit the Oscar De La Hoya Animo Charter School, part of the Green Dot group of schools. Pretty impressive. I guess the champ agrees. He just cut them a check for $3.5 million.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Agree? Disagree? Let me hear from you.